Tuesday, September 8, 2009

In the Field Day 2

The feedback was a bit more positive at this health center. The workers said that due to the SMS feedback from the RapidSMS system, they were able to take malnurished children to the hospital immediately. The system actually reduced cases of malnutrition.

At this health center, there was not as much of an issue with children/parents not wanting to participate in the program - The health workers went to the parents rather than waiting for the parents to go to the children.
At this health center, there was not as much of an issue with children/parents not wanting to participate in the program - The health workers went to the parents rather than waiting for the parents to go to the children.

These different practices between health centers illusrate that the problem with SMS is as much a process management project as a systems development project. Part of these technology project must also be devoted to standardizing and specing out processes.

The different health centers want to meet with one another, share information, and see how they compare to one another in the implementation of the RapidSMS system. I think this is a good idea and I tell the health workers this, however, in my mind I dont think this will happen. There is no budget for this, there is no one that will plan this. The Ministry of Health wants a complete package, not something that will need by yearly followup and group meetings. It makes me a bit sad, but I think this is the truth.

The health workers at Selima were very organized. When I got there, they set out an agena and started diagnosing specific benefits and criticisms of the system. It was so different to see how two HSAs could be so different. On the wall of the room where we met, there were make shift charts graphing cases of measels, polio, and other childhood diseases. These HSAs were very ingenious and serious. However, the physical health center in Selima was in worse shape than the one in Kasunga. It is really useful to visit these centers - and I think the health workers also appreciate the opportunity to give feedback. The health workers are the only ones who can make the system work. As I left one of the health workers informed me that next time I need to bring fanta for everyone - oops.

We hit a few roadside stands where Edwin and my drive bought charcoal and a reed mat. We stopped for food and I had an entire chambo fish! I have a picture. I got back early and was able to do some more programming. At this point there are no uncertainties left, I have everything working: graphing, mapping, pagination, my displaymanager. I am just working on implementation. By friday I will have a re-engineered version of the system complete, and will spend the weekend rationalizing data, testing, and fixing fixtures. If I decide to use RapidSMS as the foundation of a mHealth package, I may do some additional refactoring back in NY. I think that for rapidSMS to be successful, then on the django front end it needs to be MORE than django. I am thinking of class generation for the dynamic reporting and so forth, SMS message flow files, and perhaps more consistant use of message.py files for choice tuples, error messages, and other constants.

Last night my friend Kyran left so we had a big dinner at Mama Mia! Yum Pizza. I am burning through kwatcha this week. I just found out that there is a 15% sur charge on credit card payments at the hotel. When you go to Malawi - bring cash!

No comments:

Post a Comment